Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer 1947

An addendum to The Edith Buxbaum Journal

                                                            Edith Buxbaum, July 1947
                                                       (courtesy Robert Campbell, M.D.)

Edith looks wistful here, pensive as always, but also a bit sad.  Perhaps she is looking back to her childhood in Vienna before the wars. All the while, she is comfortable in her own skin and with herself in relation to Nature.  The photo was probably taken by her husband, Fritz Schmidl, when they were vacationing in Aspen, Colorado. I love her socks!

Same day, late evening: I look at the picture again, probably the tenth time today, and Dr. Buxbaum no longer looks sad; here in my present mood, she appears content, happy. How much of the biographer is reflected in the biographee?


Esther Altshul Helfgott, Ph.D., July 5, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Wistful I agree, Esther, but to me Edith does not look sad. I agree with you, our interpretations of photos can say more about the viewer than the viewee.

    I too fancy those socks. Her whole outfit is quite contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisabeth,
    I am enjoying your blog, Sixth Sense. thanks for your comment here.
    fascinating isn't it what the viewer brings to art. makes one question the veracity of autobiographies and biographies. I await your dissertation.
    Esther

    ReplyDelete